Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Small Misunderstanding

To my suprise, I have actually had some great luck with jobs this week! I didn't think things would be rolling this quickly, but I'm sure glad they have! I had an interview with the National Institute of Health as a Fitness Specialist on Tuesday, lunch with a friend of Margo's today that works with kids year-round doing sports classes, and just some casual rubbing of the elbows with established business people that are looking for anyway to help!

One of Margo's clients is a well-established dermatologist and has an office in Georgetown. She has been really sweet and offered me a part time job in her office to start making some money during my job search. She also has a 3-year-old daughter that needs some babysitting every now and then, which I would be more than happy to do. Anyway, she gave me a call this morning and told me to stop by the office so we could meet...and I was like okay, great...my lunch meeting (love it...makes me sound professional, doesn't it?) is in Georgetown, so this will be perfect. So I walk over to the office, walk in and tell the girl (we'll call her Leslie for the story's sake) at the desk who I was, and that I was there to see Dr. Isaac. Leslie smiled, said ok, and nudged the sign-in sheet towards me...I then told her I didn't have an appointment, but Dr. Isaac was expecting me. Leslie looked at me confused and asked if my visit was medical-related. After I said no, she was even more perplexed and told me she'd let her know I was here. So I went and sat down feeling a little awkward, now knowing I wasn't fully expected. After about 5 minutes, a girl dressed in scrubs came from the back, looked at me, then walked over to Leslie and whispered, "is that her?" She wasn't a very good whisperer. After learning that I was indeed the girl she was looking for, the girl in scrubs looked at me and said, "Erica?"....close enough, I let it slide, just glad she was there to get me out of the waiting room. So I smiled and followed her to the back. Immediately, she told me her name was Laura and started giving me a tour of the office and the description of the job Dr. Isaac was offering me. I was taken aback because this felt a little more like a first day on the job, rather than an informal meeting. I'm pretty sure everyone that worked there was wondering who in the world I was...some random girl in flip-flops, a short-sleeved shirt, and shorts about to grab a clipboard and start bringing patients to the back. Umm what?! At this point I was thinking "someone bring out the doctor, she knows who I am!"....and finally she came out of one of the rooms, smiled at me, and I felt the biggest wave of relief. I hadn't even met this woman, but couldn't have been happier to see her. We started talking a little about what I was doing job-wise, while I think Laura was standing there still confused as to why I was there. Dr. Isaac then looked me up and down, and said "well you won't be able to start today because you don't have the appropriate clothing." I'm sitting there thinking "I'm sorry...I don't generally go around meeting people wearing scrubs....I don't typically bombard people with medical terms when I meet them either."

But anyway, it ended well and i'll probably be doing that part time for a little while to make some extra money. Margo left this morning for Lake Tahoe...she'll be gone for a little over a week. Time for me to spread my little wings! No weekend plans yet, but we will see!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha Yes! That was funny!!! Can I call you Erica from now on?

    ReplyDelete