Just got back from the Nationals/Braves game...the Braves won and kept their winning streak going, hopefully we'll make the playoffs! If I've ever gone to a Braves game with you, it's probably rained it some form or fashion. It never fails...really kind of astonishing. I went with my friend, Andy who is a big baseball fan. I thought we were in the clear when it was the 6th inning, 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky...all of a sudden the dark, thick mass came rolling in and wouldn't you know it started raining!! REALLY? Even when I'm not in Atlanta. What can I say?...I bring the rain!
Friday was an extremely busy day. Friday is the day I work part-time with Just For Kids in Georgetown...the fact that I have to work seems to escape me pretty easily, though. I never remember I have to go until the morning of. And this Friday?...just the same. EXCEPT, I told one of my co-workers at NIH that I could stay a little later for her. Typically, I get off work at NIH at 3pm and have to be in Georgetown by 4pm...not a huge window. So, when I told her on Thursday that I could stay late for her Friday...it didn't hit me until I was getting dressed for work and had to pack my JFK (Just For Kids, not John F. Kennedy) shirt. Gotta make life interesting right? I spent the whole day trying to pull strings/stressing out...anyway, once I got off work at NIH, I raced to Georgetown (thankfully I didn't have to parallel park that day). Got there exactly at 4:00pm, ran up to find all the babies with their over-sized JFK shirts on, holding their soccer balls. These kids are PRECIOUS! Some of them don't even speak they are so young. We'll do a lot of simple "drills" (for lack of a better term) with them. One is where we have them put their ball on the "volcano" (volcano shaped cone)...p.s. If you haven't noticed I enjoy utilizing all the " " and ( ). I digress...anyway, we have them count 5 steps backward, wait for the whistle, then run and kick their ball towards the goal. Every time, this never fails, there are always two of the same kids that hear the whistle, run and pick up their ball and run to the goal. It is impossible to get upset with them, because it is so doggone ADORABLE! No matter how many times you tell them to use their feet, watch them nod in "comprehension," they still use their hands. Another one of my favorites is an exercise where we have them run in and out of a line of cones...this is kind of like watching Bambi learning to run crossed with a drunk. With their wobbly legs, they start to veer away from the cones toward the right usually. It's rare that they actually weave in and out of the cones...if they've seemed to master their coordination, they just make a beeline toward the other side, avoiding the cones all together. These kids make my week.
Straight from Georgetown, I went over to Margo and Deedy's for dinner. My cousin Amy and her husband PJ were in town, so they came to eat dinner as well. I think the kids lack of coordination rubs off on me, because when I was at Margo's I ran into a huge picture on the wall on the way to the shower. Anyway, dinner was great...I learned a lot about immigration and the dentention centers in the US from PJ. He's getting into social justice and is very actively involved....as a matter of fact, they were in DC for that very reason.
I planned to meet up with my roommates in Dupont Circle (neighborhood where Margo lives) to go out for some drinks. Didn't meet up with them until about 11:30pm at a bar called Madhatters. I've been there a couple times and it's a fun place...they played the new Miley Cyrus song and EVERYONE, including guys, sang along. I was amazed because I hadn't even heard the song yet...but you know what? I have it now...gotta love some Hannah Montana!
Very fun day...5:30am to 1:00am nonstop! Wouldn't have it any other way!!
Random happenings:
-My neighbors have a huge sign in their backyard resting against their fence that says "Jonas Brothers"...written in graffiti. I bet they hijacked it from a Disney Concert.
-A few nights ago there was some kind of strange animal fight in our backyard. When it began, I thought it might be two cats...but once it progressed, I knew it had to be an elephant and Bigfoot.
-Aerobic Annie is a Fitness Center Fugitive! She owes membership dues, but she always seems to elude me. I think I'll call her Evanescent Annie now.
-I went to buy some stoppers to put under the wheels of my bed...every time I sit on my bed it rolls about a foot because the wheels are on a hardwood floor. This man at the hardware store helped me pick out the right size for the bed, I asked him something about the stoppers being big enough, because I tried to buy some before but were too small. He said as long as I don't do anything to make them jump the track they'll be fine, whatever he was implying. After that he realized how that sounded and I could feel the awkwardness set in. I said "thanks" and left.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment