Sunday, September 20, 2009

DC Dawgs

I'm sitting on my back porch right now, with my feet kicked up, in the sunshine, listening to music...just ate some homemade Shrimp Pesto Pasta for lunch...life is going well!

I've had a really fun week this week...some guys that come and work out at the fitness center invited me to happy hour with them on Wednesday! We left from work and I drove one of them to the restaurant...I had to parallel park and it took me about 20 tries to get in...embarrassing. It was a meter, so I put enough money in to last an hour and a half. A little later, my friend Ken said he would go put more change in the meter, but when he came back in he put his change on the bar and said, "well, the good news is we don't have to pay for parking anymore." I looked at him and knew exactly what he meant...yep, I got my first parking ticket, which was inevitable in this area, BUT Ken ended up paying for it which was really nice. Being the new girl has its advantages...hey, you'd do the same!

NIH had an Institution Relay on Thursday which I got the opportunity to work! It was a lot of fun and very popular with the employees. We had over 100 teams with 5 people on each team, so over 500 participants! The relay consisted of a half mile loop on the main campus...each runner would run the loop then pass their baton to the next teammate. Everyone really gets into it which is a lot of fun. I worked registration and the finish line....the finish line was pretty entertaining. I had the "simple" task of collecting batons from the finishers as they funnel down a set of cones. The purpose of the funnel was so we could keep track of the order they finished in. Sounds like an easy job, right? Well...keep in mind these people just sprinted half of a mile and are basically incoherent as they cross the line, so trying to communicate to them that I want their baton was a little difficult. This is how it would go....I would shout "BATON!" and they would look at me, mouth wide open trying to breathe while someone else was trying to get the tag from their bib...I'm still pointing at their baton...kind of like a frustrated 2 year old that can't communicate what they want. It was almost as if they thought if they let go of the baton, it meant they lost. I don't know, but it proved difficult. All in all, it was a lot of fun...hopefully, I'll be able to run in one! I must add that Chick-Fil-A sponsored the event and I got a free sandwich :) they always come through!

Last weekend, my friend Carrie and I decided we wanted to find somewhere we could watch the Georgia game this Saturday. So she looked online and found this website called DC Dawgs that watch the UGA games every Saturday at the same two places. Last night, Carrie, her sister Brooke, and I went to the Penn Quarter Sports Tavern in DC to watch the game. I end up getting there first and walk up to see red shirts, hats, and big Georgia flags everywhere...I felt like I was in Athens! Flat screens everywhere...every single one on the game. I loved it! Southern accents, Georgia chants...I was just amazed there was an entire place dedicated to hosting Bulldog fans and the game, but it was definitely packed out! One guy accidently stepped on my foot and said, "oh excuse me, ma'am...I am sew saaawry." (that was supposed to be written so it sounded like a southern accent.) Anyway, I was just glad to get a little taste of Georgia! After we left the Sports Tavern, we went to Adams Morgan which is the big nightlife area of DC. We met up with some friends of theirs and had a blast!

Going to Margo and Deedy's for dinner tonight and then work tomorrow! Hope everyone has a great week! Go Dawgs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment